Some key things to know about Nigerian chef, Hilda Baci and her Guinness World Record marathon cooking can be accessed below.
Hilda Baci born Hilda Effiong Bassey from Akwa Ibom State is on the verge of breaking the Guinness World Record for the longest cooking time by an individual.
She started cooking on May 11th at Amore Gardens, Lekki, Lagos State.
This online platform understands that the current record for the longest cooking time by an individual is held by Chef Lata Tondon, who was reported to have spent 87 hours, 45 minutes, and 00 seconds cooking in Rewa, India, in 2019.
Baci, disclosed that she became “infatuated with the world record” since childhood. The chef said that she will make her five-year-long dream a reality, stating that she will cook for four days and four nights to break Chef Tondon’s record.
Since she started the cooking marathon, a number of celebrities have gone to show her their love and support at the venue.
Also, Governor Sanwo-Olu on Sunday, May 14, stormed the venue of the event and cheered the foodpreneur. He urged the crowd of supporters present at the event to continue cheering her on and wished her success.
Things To Know About Nigerian Chef Hilda Baci
1. Her real name is Hilda Bassey Effiong. She is a young Nigerian chef from Akwa Ibom State. She owns a food brand in Lagos called “My Food by Hilda”
2. She is 27 years of age
3. She will be cooking for 4 days non-stop.
4. She must stand to cook, she is not permitted to sit while cooking.
5. She’s not allowed to take coffee, stimulants, or any energy drink to artificially boost her energy and bodily strength while cooking.
6. She’s allowed to eat food, drink water or fruit juice, and take glucose.
7. The cooking is taking place at Amore Gardens, Lekki, Lagos State, Nigeria.
8. She cooks round the clock, no sleep (Morning, afternoon, evening, and night. So, for 4 nights, she won’t sleep)
9. She has just 5 minutes rest per hour [meaning for every 1 hour, she is entitled to just 5 minutes rest or break, that’s an hour break in every 12 hours].
Other sources claim
She gets a 30-minute break every 6 hours, she spends the 30mins in a medical van which is just close by, within which she can nap, use the restroom, and also get a medical assessment or checkup by the medical team available on the spot.
10. Whatever she cooks is shared with the people at the venue for FREE. She is not selling the food.
11. She cooks different meals simultaneously. She is at liberty to cook any meal she likes. There are no restrictions as to what she can cook or not cook. The World Record title is about cooking within a time frame, not about what is cooked. As long as she is cooking, she is on track.
12. Every meal cooked and every plate served is recorded. She has cooked over 115 meals so far with almost 3,000 portions if not more by the time you are reading this.
13. She started the cooking on Thursday and is expected to complete the target time frame by Monday 15th May 2023 evening.
14. The current holder of the title Hilda seeks to break is an Indian chef Lata Tandon, who set a Guinness World Record for cooking for 87 hours and 45 minutes non-stop in 2019.
15. To break the record, Hilda Baci is attempting to cook for 96 hours, using extra 9 hours to break the world record as the first human on earth to spend such an amount of time cooking a marathon.
16. She tagged the cooking project “Cook-a-thon”, a phrase literally coined from the word “marathon”
17. She appears exhausted already, but the people around her are cheering her on to boost her morale. And they are available with her as she cooks 247, even at night.
18. Most of the food items, ingredients, utensils, etc she used for this project are provided by her sponsors. So, the money expended on this project is not 100% from Hilda or her Food brand.
19. Uber, one of her partners is offering a 40% discounted ride to the venue for people who wishes to join and cheer her up at the venue.
20. Hilda’s mum is also a chef. She owns a food brand called “Calabar Pot”