Good morning! Here is a summary of Nigerian Newspapers headlines you need to know this Monday morning, August 29.
1. A meeting of the National Executive Council of the striking Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, held in Abuja on Sunday. The union is expected to take a final decision on whether to continue its industrial action that entered the 196th day on Monday (today) at the meeting holding at its national headquarters at the University of Abuja.
2. The Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, yesterday, said it was unfitting to compare the realities of the Nigerian economy with those of other smaller African States. He argued that at least 10 Nigerian States “have bigger GDPs than those countries.”
3. Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday said his romance with some Presidential candidates is not an indication that he has a preferred candidate for the 2023 elections, but that he rather has a national agenda. He said as an elder statesman, he has no anointed presidential candidate or a preferred political party but an agenda for the country.
4. Indications emerged last night that presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar is currently in confusion over conditions listed by Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State and the National Chairman of the party, Senator Iyorchia Ayu’s stance, who it was learnt, may not step down from his office as demanded by Wike’s camp.
5. A 28-year-old National Youth Service Corps member, Samaila Awudu, was reportedly killed by gunmen that invaded their Yolde Pate corpers’ lodge in Yola South Local Government Area, Adamawa State, weekend. It was gathered that after he was inflicted with life-threatening wounds by the assailants, he was rushed to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Yola where he gave up the ghost.
6. The All Progressives Congress, APC, in Abia State, has carpetted Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu, following his claims that his administration has built 150 roads across the State. Ikpeazu had in his broadcast on August 27 to mark the 31st anniversary of the creation of Abia, disclosed that his government has built 150 roads in the State, but the APC in a statement yesterday described the claim as lies.
7. Supporters of the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Mr Peter Obi, on Sunday held a rally in the commercial city of Onitsha in Anambra State, shutting down major roads and streets in the city. The youths, who were doning white polo shirts with Obi’s picture and inscription of his party, started their gathering at Zik Avenue at around 11:30am, from where they moved to other parts of the town.
8. The Lagos State Police Command has confirmed the arrest of a fake soldier, Andy Edwards, for allegedly posing as a soldier and modelling agent to rob unsuspecting members of the public of their valuables in the State. The State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin confirmed this in a statement yesterday.
9. Manchester United are preparing a whooping €140m bid for Napoli striker, Victor Osimhen before the end of the summer transfer window. According to Il Mattino, a reputable Naples-based outlet, Cristiano Ronaldo’s agent, Jorge Mendes, has told the Serie A giants to expect a massive offer for the Nigeria international.
10. Modella, Big Brother Naija, BBNaija Season 7 ‘fake’ housemate was yesterday evicted from the reality Television show. Modella, Deji, Chizzy and Rachel were introduced into the show as fake housemates.