Good morning! Here is a summary of Nigerian Newspapers headlines you need to know this Monday morning, September 5.
1. There are indications that the cracks in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, National Working Committee (NWC) has deepened, as forces opposed to the National Chairman, Iyorchia Ayu, intensify push for his ouster. It was gathered that some members, including two national vice chairmen, are joining forces with opponents of the national chairman.
2. Terrorists have attacked a mosque in Borno, killing the Chief Imam and three other worshipers. Many people were injured in the attack, which occurred in Ngulde community of Askira-Uba Local Government Area, on Friday.
3. A 38-year-old Pastor in Ogun State, Israel Adebayo, has been arrested by the Police for allegedly raping a 14 year-old member of the choir in the church. The Police Spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, on Sunday, confirmed the arrest of the pastor.
4. Over 70 suspected Boko Haram members drowned in a river following air bombardment by Operations Hadin Kai in Borno State, sources said. It was gathered that the Nigerian Army, in collaboration with Civilian Joint Task Force (JTF) had earlier killed over 20 members of Boko Haram insurgents in Sheruri village of Bama Local Government Area of Borno on Thursday.
5. The Federal Government has uncovered 14 assets, including shopping malls, residential estate, polo playground, lands and farmland belonging to a former commander, Intelligence Response Team, Abba Kyari, a Deputy Commissioner of Police.
6. The two-week ultimatum issued by the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors to the Federal and State governments ends today (Monday). The association has, however, scheduled its extraordinary National Executive Council meeting for Saturday, September 10, 2022, in Jos, Plateau State, to deliberate on the ultimatum.
7. Two yet-to-be-identified persons on Sunday lost their lives when a seven-storey building under construction caved in at Oba Idowu Oniru Street in the Victoria Island area of Lagos State. It was gathered that the victims, alongside other persons, were at the site when the building collapsed around 3am on Sunday.
8. Suspected herders, on Saturday, invaded a community in Tse Numgbera, in the Guma Local Government Area of Benue State, and killed three people during the attack. It was learnt that the killing came barely two days after six people were killed in Umella village, Mbawa Council Ward, in the LGA.
9. Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted 32 persons in Ondo State. The 32 victims were reportedly returning from a burial service in Benin City, Edo State over the weekend, when the incident happened.
10. Legendary Nigerian artiste, Innocent Idibia, professionally known as 2baba, has demanded the release of popular rapper, Ice Prince, from Police custody. Ice Prince was arrested on Friday, September 2, 2022, for driving without a license plate.