Good morning! Here is a summary of Nigerian Newspapers headlines you need to know this Friday morning, September 2.
1. The Rivers State Governor has threatened to help the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, lose the 2023 presidential election. The governor issued the threat at the commissioning of the internal road in Omerelu community, Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers on Thursday while reacting to a comment by the party’s national chairman, Iyorchia Ayu.
2. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday, berated the presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for parleying with former President Goodluck Jonathan, saying that the move will not help the candidate of the APC in 2023. This was contained in a statement by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba.
3. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said the nation has entered a critical stage ahead of the 2023 general elections. INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said this at an ‘Expert Meeting on Conducting Elections in Volatile Security Environment’, organised in collaboration with the Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) in Abuja, on Thursday.
4. No fewer than 49 Boko Haram insurgents were reportedly killed when a Super Tucano warplane bombed three terrorists’ hideouts in Sambisa forest in Borno State during multiple raids. The air bombardment was conducted by the Air Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai, on August 30 and 31, at the terrorists’ camps of Gargash, Minna and Gazuwa, in Bama LGA of the State.
5. Former Kano Governor and serving Senator, Ibrahim Shekarau, yesterday, alleged that his defection from the New Nigeria Peoples Party to the Peoples Democratic Party was due to the betrayal by the NNPP presidential candidate, Rabiu Kwankwaso. Shekarau made the allegation while appearing on the Channels TV programme on Thursday.
6. Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, on Thursday, arrested the Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Olakunle Oluomo, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos. He was accused of embezzlement, forging signatures and financial documents of the Assembly.
7. Former South-West Deputy National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olabode George has said that Senator Iyorcha Ayu must quit as national chairman of the party before the commencement of electioneering campaigns for 2023 general elections.
8. A 26-year old man, Mr. Ogaga Kome has allegedly shot and killed an 11-year old boy, Hosanna Merritt while testing a locally made gun at Ozoro, Isoko North Local Government Area, Delta State. Police Public Relations Officer of the State command, Mr. Bright Edafe, who disclosed this, in a statement, said the suspect has been arrested.
9. The Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, Sector Commander in Ekiti State, Mr Olusola Joseph, on Thursday confirmed the death of some passengers in the State, which he said resulted from a head-on collision between an 18-seater passenger bus and a Toyota car. He explained that the accident occurred as the driver of one of the vehicles was meandering to avoid a crater on the road.
10. The Peter Obi media office has lambasted Governor Ifeanyi Okowa for saying the Labour Party (LP) candidate campaigns in churches. The team in a statement yesterday said Okowa ignored the magnitude of the nation’s challenges and why Nigerians are rising in support of the ex-Anambra governor.