Have you ever thought about how to make puff puff without yeast but with plain yogurt instead?
Well, If you love making puff puff but cannot wait for about an hour to allow the batter to rise before frying? Then, you can try using yogurt. The yogurt contains active cultures that act like yeast.
However, you should not use Greek yogurt, because it could change the taste.
This easy and quick snack, appetizer, or dessert can be ready in less than 30 minutes without yeast to cut down on rise time especially if you’re in a hurry as prepared by food content creator, Dolapo Grey.
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- I seed nutmeg
- 21/2 cups plain yogurt
- Vegetable oil (For deep frying)
- Pour all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly with a whisk to combine properly.
- Then, pour the yogurt into the dry ingredients and mix very well with a spatula until the batter is smooth. The mixture should be much thicker than the pancake batter.
- Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, properly mix the mixture to remove air bubbles.
- Pour some oil into a deep pot and allow to heat up.
- scoop some batter into the oil with an ice cream scoop or your hand and fry on medium heat.
- Put in more scoops of the batter, as much as the space in the frying pot will allow without overcrowding.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter and fry until golden brown on both sides
- Place puff puffs in a paper towel to soak excess oil.
- Serve as a snack or appetizer and enjoy!