Top Nigerian newspaper headlines for Sunday, 14th May 2023 can be accessed below.
Glamtush has compiled top Nigerian news reviews from Nigerian newspapers today, this means the latest Naija news, top Nigerian newspaper headlines, and happenings in Nigeria can be accessed on this page
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from top Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Nigerian Labour Congress on Saturday said it was looking forward to holding a meeting with the incoming administration of the President-elect, Bola Tinubu, over matters relating to the removal of subsidy on Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol. It, however, insisted that its position on fuel subsidy had not changed, stressing that the government must endeavour to get Nigeria’s refineries functional before taking out subsidy on petrol.
2. The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, has ordered the arrest of Seun Kuti, son of Afrobeat maestro, Fela Kuti. Olumuyiwa Adejobi, Force Public Relations Officer, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday night. Seun Kuti was captured in video assaulting a police officer in uniform.
3. The All Progressives Congress in Akoko South West Local Government Area of Ondo State has suspended 31 members of the party. In a letter addressed to the state chairman of the party, Mr Ade Adetimehin, and made available to our correspondent on Saturday, the party stated that its decision was based on the report by a committee set up to look into the matter.
4. Terrorists have abducted the village head of the Fugge community in the Rijau local government area, Mallam Abdullahi Zaure and 49 others. It was gathered yesterday that the incident occurred on Friday afternoon when the terrorists invaded the village on several motorcycles, shooting into the air and causing panic among residents.
5. A chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC in Imo State, Chinedu Eleliam, has been abducted by suspected herdsmen. This is barely 48 hours after Capt. Tony Enoch, a kinsman of the Imo State Governor, Senator Hope Uzodimma and the Presidential Campaign Council Chairman for APC 2023 Presidential election in Oru East LGA, was reportedly shot dead by gunmen.
6. A socio-political group, Oduduwa Frontiers, yesterday, rejected undue interference in the selection process of the leadership of the National Assembly by the All Progressives Congress (APC) and some powerful forces, stating that lawmakers should be allowed to elect their presiding officers. Its National President, Kolawale Adediji Kazeem, in a statement, said there should be an open contest for members to exercise their democratic rights.
7. The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, has debunked media reports suggesting that the Federal Government is seeking new loans to cushion the effect of the pending fuel subsidy removal. She explained that the only existing facility meant to ameliorate the subsidy removal crunch was the $800 million from the World Bank, which is currently awaiting parliamentary approval.
8. The Lamidi Apapa faction of the Labour Party yesterday called for an investigation into Peter Obi and other individuals who are allegedly working to prevent the inauguration of President-elect, Bola Tinubu on May 29, 2023. The National Publicity Secretary of the LP faction, Abayomi Arabambi, made this known to journalists in Abuja on Saturday.
9. Popular actor, Saint Obi has reportedly died at 57. The actor breathed was said to have died on Monday after battling an unstated protracted ailment. However, the Actors Guild of Nigeria is yet to make an official statement about the movie star’s death due to an alleged family disagreement.
10. The Chief Medical Director of Ayodele Hospital, Ilorin, Kwara State, Dr Ayodele Joseph, has said the female nurse he was accused of sedating and raping is his girlfriend. Ayodele was reportedly performing an operation on the nurse in his hospital when the incident occurred.