Mum Finds Human Poo On Supermarket’s Shelf As She Reaches For Chicken Nuggets
A mum was horrified to discover the packet of chicken nuggets she had just grabbed out of the freezer at Iceland supermarket was smeared in human poo.
Lynne McCabe, 35, only realised what had happened when she nonchalantly touched her face moments later and caught whiff of the ‘awful’ smell on her hand. She quickly told staff at the supermarket in Saltcoats, North Ayrshire, what happened, but was left even more annoyed by their ‘terrible’ handling of the situation, which took place at around 3.30pm yesterday afternoon.
Lynne told the Daily Record: ‘At first they laughed and then one was kind of heaving saying “that’s disgusting”. They let me use the staff room to clean my hands.
‘They did say sorry and gave me a box of Lindor chocolate balls as an apology. I mean come on, I’m covered in poo and they give me chocolate balls to say sorry?’
She claims staff told her the mishap occurred after an elderly woman ‘made a right mess’ in the store not long after saying she felt unwell and asking to use the toilet earlier in the day.
Lynne, from Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, added that they said they had tried to clean up, but described feeling ‘shocked they hadn’t closed the shop’.
She guessed the woman must have touched the packet after falling ill, adding: ‘What else did she touch in the shop? I don’t think they will have bothered to check.
‘The situation was handled terribly by staff. Who knows what kind of germs that person had and just it was lying there for hours before it was cleaned.’
Iceland told the newspaper they are aware of the situation, with a spokesperson confirming they are confident ‘all necessary measures were taken’.
They went on: ‘Upon being made aware of the incident, we immediately made plans to close our store for deep cleaning. This has now been completed and our store is open as normal.
‘We extend our apologies to the customer for the upset caused, and provided a gesture of goodwill in store.’