Glamtush
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Glamtush
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Australia Cancels Djokovic’s Visa For A Second Time

by editor
January 14, 2022
in Sports
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Wimbledon
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on PinterestShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedinShare on Telegram

Australia cancelled Novak Djokovic’s visa for a second time Friday in a sensational new attempt to deport the unvaccinated tennis superstar.

The country’s conservative government defeated once in the courts, invoked extraordinary executive powers to again rip up the 34-year-old Serbian’s visa on public interest grounds.

The move came just three days before the Australian Open starts, putting Djokovic’s dream of a record 21st Grand Slam in serious doubt.

Djokovic, an avowed Covid-19 vaccine sceptic, is the tournament’s top seed and had been practising on the Melbourne Park courts just hours before Immigration Minister Alex Hawke’s bombshell decision was announced.

The government is “firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic,” Hawke said in a statement.

He cited “health and good order grounds” for the decision and said “it was in the public interest to do so”.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison backed the decision: “Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic, and they rightly expect the result of those sacrifices to be protected.”

The visa cancellation effectively means the world’s number one tennis player would be barred from obtaining a new Australian visa for three years, except under exceptional circumstances.

But at an emergency court hearing late Friday, the tennis ace challenged the decision.

Djokovic’s lawyer Nick Wood requested an injunction against his removal and appealed for him to be allowed to remain out of immigration detention as the case proceeds.

“We are very concerned about time,” Wood said, arguing that the government’s decision was marked by “irrationality.”

 

– ‘All fools’ –
In Belgrade, Djokovic’s compatriots reacted with shock to the news.

“To say that a high-level sportsman like Novak is a danger to the health of Australians is just absurd, it’s a scandal,” said 28-year-old local government employee Petar Stojanovic.

The megastar flew into Melbourne airport on January 5 claiming a vaccine exemption because of a positive PCR test result on December 16.

Border agents rejected his exemption, revoked his visa and placed him in a notorious Melbourne detention centre where he spent four nights.

The Australian government insists a recent infection does not qualify as a vaccine exemption for foreign nationals trying to enter the country.

Djokovic’s top-flight legal team overturned the visa decision in the federal circuit court on Monday because border officials at the airport had failed to give him the agreed time to respond.

Djokovic’s vaccine waiver provoked outrage among many Australians who have endured nearly two years of some of the toughest coronavirus restrictions in the world.

Some tennis players say Djokovic should now be allowed to play, but not all have been supportive.

World number four Stefanos Tsitsipas criticised his behaviour.

“For sure he has been playing by his own rules,” Tsitsipas said in an interview with Indian broadcaster WION.

Nearly everyone in the Australian Open had been vaccinated, Tsitsipas said. But others “chose to follow their own way which kind of makes the majority look like they’re all fools”.

 

– ‘Error of judgement’ –
On Wednesday, Djokovic described reports about post-infection outings without a mask in Serbia as “misinformation”.

On the day of his claimed positive test in Serbia, he attended a ceremony to honour him with stamps bearing his image. The following day he attended a youth tennis event. He appeared at both apparently without a mask.

Djokovic said in an Instagram post that he only received the PCR test result after going to the children’s tennis event on December 17.

But he admitted that he also went ahead with an interview with French sports daily L’Equipe on December 18.

“On reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment,” Djokovic said.

The journalist who carried out the L’Equipe interview, Franck Ramella, said he had been unaware at the time of the interview that Djokovic was Covid-positive.

The tennis star also admitted to a mistake on his Australian travel declaration, in which a box was ticked indicating that he had not, or would not, travel in the 14 days before flying to Melbourne.

In fact, social media posts and reports show he flew from Serbia to Spain during that period.

Djokovic blamed his support team for this. “My agent sincerely apologises for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box,” he said.

As Covid-related hospitalisations rise in Melbourne, the Victorian state government said Thursday it would cap capacity at the Australian Open at 50 percent.

Related Posts

Super Falcons
Sports

Super Falcons to Get New Coach Ahead of Olympic Qualifier

August 19, 2026
NFF Fires Super Falcons Technical Crew
Sports

NFF Fires Super Falcons Technical Crew After World Cup Miss

August 17, 2026
Award Winners at WAFCON 2026
Sports

FULL LIST: Award Winners at WAFCON 2026

August 17, 2026
Cameroon
Sports

Cameroon Beat Malawi To Win Historic WAFCON  

August 17, 2026
Community Shield
Sports

Arsenal Thrash Man City 3-0 to Win Community Shield

August 16, 2026
Super Falcons
Sports

Super Falcons Lose to South Africa, Miss 2027 World Cup Ticket

August 14, 2026
Next Post
Super Eagles

AFCON: Moses Simon Speaks On Why Super Eagles Improved Under Eguavoen

Magazine Cover

Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi Apologises for Palace Remarks, Denies Violence Call

August 19, 2026
Election Campaigns

Election Campaigns for 2027 Presidential Race Kick off Today

August 19, 2026
Hotel Fire

India Hotel Tragedy: Nine Dead, Several Injured in Early Morning Fire

August 19, 2026
Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today

Top 10 Nigerian Newspaper Headlines Today, 19th August 2026

August 19, 2026
Super Falcons

Super Falcons to Get New Coach Ahead of Olympic Qualifier

August 19, 2026
Zenith Bank

Zenith Bank to Host 10th International Trade Seminar, Targets Growth in Nigeria’s Non-Oil Exports 

August 19, 2026
Tinubu’s Absence at Peace Accord

Tinubu’s Absence at Peace Accord Sends Wrong Signal – SDP’s Adebayo

August 19, 2026
Good Security

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

August 19, 2026
Peace Accord

Tinubu, Obi, Sowore, Others Sign Peace Accord Ahead Of 2027 Elections

August 19, 2026
Davido

Osun Election: Dangote, Akpabio Asked Me to Delete Tweets, Davido Alleges

August 19, 2026

GPBN Associates Member

GLAMTUSH

 

Glamtush publishes the latest trends in fashion, beauty, and lifestyle, as well as those making the fashion world interesting and adorable.

Fidelity Bank

GLAMTUSH

Glamtush publishes the latest trends in fashion, beauty, and lifestyle, as well as those making the fashion world interesting and adorable.

 

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

REACH OUT

Do you have any news for us? Event Coverage, Press Releases or Adverts? Then reach out to us via glamtush@gmail.com or glamtush15@gmail.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

Lagos, Nigeria

Copyright © 2022 Glamtush

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Glam Tush – Naija News & Entertainment News
  • Glamtush – Nigeria News, Nigerian Newspapers, Naija News
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Write for Us

© 2026 Glamtush

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events

© 2026 Glamtush