Glamtush
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Glamtush
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Buhari Tells Former Heads Of State How Peaceful #EndSARS Protest Was Hijacked

byeditor
October 23, 2020
in News, Nigeria News
Reading Time: 3 mins read
Former Heads Of State
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on PinterestShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedinShare on Telegram

Buhari Tells Former Heads Of State How Peaceful #EndSARS Protest Was Hijacked

 

 

 

 

It is unfortunate that the initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths in parts of the country against the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was hijacked and misdirected, President Muhammadu Buhari told former Heads of State and Presidents of Nigeria, Friday in Abuja.

In a virtual meeting with the former leaders, Buhari reiterated that the government would not fold its arms and allow miscreants and criminals continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country.

At the meeting were all living past leaders, including: Gen. Yakubu Gowon, President Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, Chief Ernest Shonekan, Gen. Abulsalami Abubakar, and former President Goodluck Jonathan.

The President recounted the initial concessions made by his administration on the demands of youths protesting against the excesses of some members of the SARS.

He recalled that the youths had demanded that the squad be disbanded, and further articulated the additional demands, including:

”The immediate release of all arrested protesters. Justice for deceased victims of police brutality and appropriate compensation for their families.

”Setting up an independent body to oversee the investigation and prosecution of all reports of Police misconduct within 10 days.

”Psychological evaluation and re-training of all disbanded SARS officers before they can be re-deployed; and increase in Police salary.”

The President declared: ”We accepted all the demands and proceeded immediately to scrap SARS and started the process of addressing the other demands.

”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the Government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.”

Buhari expressed concern that in the mayhem that ensued, many lives have been lost, a number of public and private properties completely destroyed or vandalized.

Reiterating his pledge to Nigerians from the nationwide broadcast Thursday, the President reaffirmed: ”We will continue to improve good governance through our democratic process including through sustained engagement.

”We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.”

The President thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ”Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen.”

Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.

”I commend the speech of last night. The nation had been waiting. You made points that I believe need to be commended. Peaceful demonstration is part of democratic practice. The demands of the genuine protesters were accepted, and you are working on implementation. We commend you,” former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, said.

The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.

They also expressed their condolences to the bereaved families of civilians, policemen and soldiers killed as a result of the violent protest, and reaffirmed the commitment to respect the fundamental rights of citizens, including for peaceful protest as enshrined in the Constitution.

The former Heads of State also condemned the divisive and inciting pronouncements of separatists, and were of the opinion that such acts should be stopped.

Equally, the former Leaders commended the actions taken by Governors to address the demands of the EndSARS protesters and their efforts to check the excesses of those who perpetrated violent acts and conduct.

They called on youths to pursue peaceful means, in seeking redress through engagement with Government and encouraged further conversation with the youths and other stakeholders in the country.

Related Posts

FG Sues El-Rufai
News

FG Sues El-Rufai Over NSA Ribadu’s Phone-Tapping Claims

February 16, 2026
Death Of Two Nollywood Crew Members
Metro/Crime

Police Investigate Death Of Two Nollywood Crew Members Found Inside Car At Lagos Movie Set

February 16, 2026
UNILAG Food Vendor Electrocuted
Metro/Crime

Popular UNILAG Food Vendor Dies In Tragic Electrocution Incident

February 16, 2026
Kani Ben
News

Channels TV Mourns Bauchi Bureau Cameraman Kani Ben After Tragic Road Crash

February 15, 2026
INEC
News

2027: INEC Breaks Silence On Atiku, Others Demand To Reschedule Elections Over Ramadan

February 14, 2026
2027 Election Dates
News

Atiku Urges INEC To Review 2027 Election Dates Over Ramadan Clash

February 14, 2026
Next Post

#EndSARS: Obasanjo Commended Buhari’s Speech - Says Adesina

FG Sues El-Rufai

FG Sues El-Rufai Over NSA Ribadu’s Phone-Tapping Claims

February 16, 2026
Death Of Two Nollywood Crew Members

Police Investigate Death Of Two Nollywood Crew Members Found Inside Car At Lagos Movie Set

February 16, 2026
UNILAG Food Vendor Electrocuted

Popular UNILAG Food Vendor Dies In Tragic Electrocution Incident

February 16, 2026
Iwobi

Why I Can’t Rest Iwobi – Marco Silva

February 16, 2026
2027

2027: Our Votes Must Count – Peter Obi

February 16, 2026
Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest Appoint Pereira As Fourth Manager This Season

February 15, 2026
FA Cup Fifth Round

FULL LIST: 14 Teams Qualify For FA Cup Fifth Round

February 15, 2026
Kani Ben

Channels TV Mourns Bauchi Bureau Cameraman Kani Ben After Tragic Road Crash

February 15, 2026
FAAN Campaign

Viral FAAN Campaign Free, Not Political – Iyabo Ojo

February 15, 2026
Valentine Season

Valentine Season: Adron Homes Encourages Nigerians To Build Lasting Love Through Real Estate

February 14, 2026

Magazine Cover

GPBN Associates Member

Fidelity Bank

GLAMTUSH

 

Glamtush publishes the latest trends in fashion, beauty, and lifestyle, as well as those making the fashion world interesting and adorable.

GLAMTUSH

Glamtush publishes the latest trends in fashion, beauty, and lifestyle, as well as those making the fashion world interesting and adorable.

 

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

REACH OUT

Do you have any news for us? Event Coverage, Press Releases or Adverts? Then reach out to us via glamtush@gmail.com or glamtush15@gmail.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

Lagos, Nigeria

Copyright © 2022 Glamtush

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Glam Tush – Naija News & Entertainment News
  • Glamtush – Nigeria News, Nigerian Newspapers, Naija News
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Write for Us

© 2022 Glamtush

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events

© 2022 Glamtush