Glamtush
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events
No Result
View All Result
Glamtush
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

2020 Ballon d’Or Cancelled Over COVID-19

by editor
July 20, 2020
in Sports
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Ballon d’Or
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on PinterestShare on WhatsappShare on LinkedinShare on Telegram

2020 Ballon d’Or Cancelled Over COVID-19

 

 

 

The Ballon d’Or will not be awarded this year due to the extraordinary conditions created by the coronavirus pandemic, organisers France Football announced on Monday.

It will be the first time the trophy given for the world’s best men’s footballer has not been awarded since Englishman Stanley Matthews won the inaugural edition in 1956.

“There will be no edition in 2020, because it turns out, after thoughtful consideration, that all the conditions are not met,” said Pascal Ferre, the editor of the magazine.

The COVID-19 outbreak saw all major football leagues shut down in March, with the German Bundesliga the first to resume behind closed doors in May.

France Football said it would be unfair to vote on the world’s best player when some leagues, including the French Ligue 1, cancelled their seasons early.

Ferre also suggested that it would not be right to judge players based on games played without spectators present.

“We believe that such a singular year cannot… be treated as an ordinary year,” he added.

“Two months (January and February), out of the eleven generally required to form an opinion and decide who should lift the trophies, represent far too little to gauge and judge, without forgetting that the other games were played –- or will be played –- in unusual conditions (behind closed doors, with five replacements, Champions League’s Final 8 played in a single game).”

Lionel Messi won a record-breaking sixth Ballon d’Or last year.

The women’s Ballon d’Or, which was first awarded in 2018, has also been cancelled.

France Football added that it was looking forward to holding a ceremony in 2021, but that this year it would instead organise a vote for the all-time greatest men’s XI.

 

 

AFP

Related Posts

2026/27 EPL Season
Sports

9 Super Eagles Players to Feature in 2026/27 EPL Season

August 21, 2026
FIFA
Sports

FULL LIST: FIFA Bans Argentina’s Paredes for 10 Matches, Others After 2026 World Cup

August 21, 2026
Women’s World Cup Brazil 2027
Sports

FIFA Releases Women’s World Cup Brazil 2027 Match Schedule

August 21, 2026
Super Falcons
Sports

Super Falcons to Get New Coach Ahead of Olympic Qualifier

August 19, 2026
Patrick Vieira
Sports

Senegal Appoint Patrick Vieira as Head Coach

August 18, 2026
NFF Fires Super Falcons Technical Crew
Sports

NFF Fires Super Falcons Technical Crew After World Cup Miss

August 17, 2026
Next Post
Mother

32-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Presence Of His Mother In Lagos

Magazine Cover

2026/27 EPL Season

9 Super Eagles Players to Feature in 2026/27 EPL Season

August 21, 2026
FIFA

FULL LIST: FIFA Bans Argentina’s Paredes for 10 Matches, Others After 2026 World Cup

August 21, 2026
Eid ul Mawlid

FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21, 2026
Asu Ekiye

Gospel Singer Asu Ekiye Announces End of 28-Year Marriage

August 21, 2026
Saving Habits

Five Practical Holiday Saving Habits for Nigerian Households

August 21, 2026
Drug Trafficking

Drug Trafficking: FBI Asks US Court to keep Records on Tinubu Probe Secret

August 21, 2026
Women’s World Cup Brazil 2027

FIFA Releases Women’s World Cup Brazil 2027 Match Schedule

August 21, 2026
Sokoto 2027

Sokoto 2027: Why Performance, Not Absenteeism, Will Win Elections

August 20, 2026
Fidelity Bank

Fidelity Bank Deepens Food Relief Efforts, Supports Over 1,000 Families in Kogi State

August 20, 2026
Fadahunsi

Fadahunsi Apologises for Palace Remarks, Denies Violence Call

August 19, 2026

GPBN Associates Member

GLAMTUSH

 

Glamtush publishes the latest trends in fashion, beauty, and lifestyle, as well as those making the fashion world interesting and adorable.

Fidelity Bank

GLAMTUSH

Glamtush publishes the latest trends in fashion, beauty, and lifestyle, as well as those making the fashion world interesting and adorable.

 

RELEVANT PAGES

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us

REACH OUT

Do you have any news for us? Event Coverage, Press Releases or Adverts? Then reach out to us via glamtush@gmail.com or glamtush15@gmail.com

OFFICE ADDRESS

Lagos, Nigeria

Copyright © 2022 Glamtush

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Contact Us
  • Disclaimer
  • Glam Tush – Naija News & Entertainment News
  • Glamtush – Nigeria News, Nigerian Newspapers, Naija News
  • Latest Naija News Today
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Write for Us

© 2026 Glamtush

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Beauty
  • Business & Brands
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Lifestyle
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Telenovelas
  • Events

© 2026 Glamtush