Nigerian newspaper headlines and Naija news today, Monday 22 August 2022, can be accessed below.
Glamtush has compiled Naija news today headlines, this means the latest Naija news and happenings in Nigeria for the day from top Nigerian Newspapers.
Below are the Nigerian Newspaper headlines & Naija news today from Nigerian dailies.
1. Gunmen wreaking havoc in parts of the South-east have abducted four Reverend sisters of the Catholic Church in Imo State. It was gathered that the incident occurred on Sunday at the popular Okigwe-Enugu Road while the victims were on their way to mass on Sunday morning.
2. Again, the Academic Staff Union of Universities yesterday raised the alarm over the exodus of lecturers from the nation’s universities for greener pastures abroad. The union attributed the development to the Federal Government’s poor treatment of its members which it said had forced many to venture into other sources of livelihood.
3. There was panic on Sunday night as another building collapsed on Adeleye Street, Lady Lark, Bariga area of Lagos State. Two children died, while three adults sustained varying degrees of injuries. The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency confirmed the development.
4. The Deputy Governor of Zamfara State, Senator Hassan Nasiha has said the notorious bandit kingpin, Bello Turji, has embraced the peace initiative of the State government as part of efforts to end banditry in the North-western State.
5. Indications emerged yesterday that the Federal Government may consider the option of proscribing the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, if it fails to call-off the prolonged strike after an offer was made to it. The Federal Government has also approved an additional N100 billion for the university sector as part of the understanding in the re-negotiation of the 2009 agreement.
6. One of the suspects arrested for conspiring to kill Yakubu Dogara, a former Speaker of the House of Representatives, has explained the reason behind his action. According to Umar Mamman, Bauchi State Commissioner of Police, during interrogation, the suspect linked Dogara to an incident that happened to him in the past.
7. Cases of monkeypox have spread to 26 States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), raising fears among citizens. This is just as experts have called for increased efforts by all stakeholders towards curbing the situation. Monkeypox is a viral disease transmitted from animals to humans and from humans to humans.
8. Farmers in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State have reportedly agreed to pay the huge amount that bandits levied on them to access their farmlands. According to Ishaq Usman Kasai, Chairman Birnin-Gwari Emirate Progressives Union (Union), bandits imposed multi-million naira levies on the farmers.
9. The crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has taken a new dimension following the purported clampdown on some loyalists of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the party, in Rivers State. The leadership of the party has been making efforts to reconcile Governor Nyesom Wike, who lost the presidential ticket and suffered another loss in his bid to be considered running mate to the party’s presidential flagbearer.
10. The Ogun State Police Command on Sunday said it arrested a 49-year-old father, Amoda Bola, who allegedly had carnal knowledge of his 14-year-old daughter and impregnated her. Bola was also alleged to have invited some men to his house to defile his daughter and received payment from the men for his service.