For some people, drinking water first thing in the morning could be pretty tough and stomach-turning. But if you are determined to make it a lifestyle as well as benefit from it, then, you have to keep doing it until your body gradually become accustomed to the routine.
However, it should be done on an empty stomach. Not only does it clear your stomach, it also goes a long way in reducing the risk of a number of diseases. One thing many people do not know is that drinking water as soon as you wake up also comes with its therapeutic benefits.
Here are 7 benefits of drinking water first thing in the morning.
- Drinking water on an empty stomach purifies the colon, therefore, making it easier to absorb nutrients.
- Water helps to eliminate toxins from the blood which helps to keep your skin glowing and flawless.
- It balances your lymph system. When you drink water first thing in the morning on a daily basis, you help balance your body’s lymph system. These glands helps us to perform our daily functions, balance body fluids and fight infection.
- It also helps in weight loss. Drinking 5-6 glasses of chilled water daily in the morning will help boost your metabolism, therefore, help you lose those extra pounds.
- It also increases the production of new blood and muscle cells.
- Drinking water first thing in the morning has been proven to cure illnesses such as vomiting, throat disease, menstrual and cancer disorders, diarrhea, headaches among others.
- Drinking water early in the morning will not only cure dehydration but it also helps in relieving constipation and promote morning bowel movement. And, this is a great way to start the day.
To get the best result from drinking water once you wake up, you should:
- Drink 1.5 liters (5/6 glasses) of water immediately you wake up.
- Avoid drinking or eating anything else for an hour after drinking the water.
- Do not drink beverages that contain alcohol the previous night.